Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Felting dilemma

I finished the hat. No, I didn't rip it out. If it doesn't fit me, it will fit Lizzie. Lizzie thinks everything I knit is for her anyway. I wouldn't want to disillusion her.

So I finished the hat and I wanted to felt it. But I have a front loading washing machine. It doesn't felt. Not even close. Well, it does SHRINK things, but it doesn't FELT things. Big difference.

Well, I'm a creative and resourceful person. The hat just needs agitation. I KNOW people have boiled wool to felt it. So I tried it.

It neither felted OR shrunk after 25 minutes in the boiling water. My kitchen smelled kind of different. Good thing I like the smell of wool. Okay the smell was a turbo version of mittens drying on a heater. Whew!

And honestly, I think the hat GREW! Now it looks very oversized and if it shrinks 2/3, it should fit nicely. But where can I find a top-loading washer????

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can i model some of your fine knit-work? i would be very pleased!

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Mrs L. Whats Up? You have a very pretty scarf.....Those are some wicked glasses you have on....

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home